Monday, August 6, 2007

Mrs. Green Thumb

Every year I buy hanging plants to hang on our front porch. We have kind of a "country front porch" with the rocking chair and all. So, I love to hang plants in the Spring to add color to the house. I also buy some flowers to put in some pots in the front of the house and a couple for the back deck. Well, it never fails that these flowers start to die off by early to mid-July. The heat starts to get to them and I forget to water them as frequently so they suffer and eventually die resulting in me throwing them away. Well, it is officially Aug. 6th and all of my plants are still alive (except for one very small plant that didn't make it)! I LOVE it! I think we are going to make it through to mum season! Yes!

On a side note...Mrs. Green Thumb has a tip of the day for you. I enjoy when TW buys me fresh flowers. I asked to get frustrated when they would only last a few days, even less sometimes, before they started wilting away. One day we were buying some flowers and the florist told us when we got home to cut the stems at a diagonal and then place them in a vase with equal parts of water and Sprite. Odd, but it works! Seriously! I have had flowers that TW got us for our anniversary that are lasting well past a week! It helps lengthen the life if you change the water/Sprite mixture everyday and re-trim the stems occasionally as well!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks! I learned something new today! I didn't know about Sprite - gosh I love helpful hints!

EE said...

Never heard that before...thanks!

CrazyDeb said...

My mom always swears by 7-up in the water which is the same thing. I've also heard an aspirin in the water makes them last. Anyone want to send me some flowers so I can try it? If so, wait until after the weekend because I'm out of town after today. :o)