Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Happy 4th of July


Independence Day! Today I am trying to take time and reflect upon what this holiday truly means. So many times I just look at this as another Summer holiday to spend with family and forget about the true meaning of this day. This morning, as I sit on the deck of my parent's condo overlooking the Lake, I am thinking of the many soldiers that have fought and are fighting still today for our freedom. What a sacrifice! One that I am not sure I would be willing to sign up for. Bravery at its finest!

Today I will spend time with my family. Our 4th of July tradition is to spend time at the Lake. We will go out on the boat and anchor in a cove spending the day swimming, laughing, and listening to music. This evening we will probably BBQ at my Aunt and Uncle's house and then watch the fireworks show. This has been our family tradition since I was little. Isnt' there something comforting about family tradition? What will you do to celebrate this day?







2 comments:

CrazyDeb said...

Thanks for thinking of and mentioning the troops! When I hear stories of my nephew's year in Iraq it's difficult so can't imagine living them. It's nice to know others appreciate the guys and gals over there.

We didn't have traditions for 4th of July but one year Dad got a huge collection of fireworks - not sure where he got the money because we didn't have much. Before we started shooting them off he said he was going to go get his mother. When he returned he had a car full of widows from our small town and set out to get two more car loads. They had a wonderful time of sitting in our back yard visiting while he shot off the fireworks. An evening I will never forget and am sure they never forgot either.

Stop by the Info Center at church and say hi if you have time.

Debbie

EE said...

We celebrated by just being together...no sports:)
Hope you had fun at the lake!