Sunday, November 11, 2007

When I Say "I am a Christian"

Today our pastor read this poem by Carole Wimmer and I so connected with it. There are times in our society today when Christians get misread because of their faith. For me being a Christian is about saying I can't do this life on my own. I can't face the challenges of my day without God! It is never about pride or self-righteousness, it is about laying my life before him to give me the strength I need. I hope each one of you connects or learns something from this poem. It gave me a whole new perspective.

When I say, “I am a Christian”
When I say, “I am a Christian,” I’m not shouting “I've been saved!” I’m whispering, “I get lost! That's why I chose this way”

When I say, “I am a Christian,” I don’t speak with human pride, I’m confessing that I stumble - needing God to be my guide

When I say, “I am a Christian” I’m not trying to be strong I’m professing that I’m weak and pray for strength to carry on

When I say, “I am a Christian,” I’m not bragging of success I’m admitting that I've failed and cannot ever pay the debt

When I say, “I am a Christian,” I don't think I know it all I submit to my confusion asking humbly to be taught

When I say, “I am a Christian,” I’m not claiming to be perfect My flaws are far too visible but God believes I’m worth it

When I say, “I am a Christian,” I still feel the sting of pain I have my share of heartache which is why I seek His name

When I say, “I am a Christian,” I do not wish to judge I have no authority -- I only know I’m loved

4 comments:

CrazyDeb said...

I connected to it as well. So many people don't understand this - including me not too many years ago. Aren't we blessed to be a part of such a great place!

KK said...

This really hit home with me. The thing I loved about yesterday's service is that it was completely different than I expected it to be. It was filled with so many jewels. I can't say that five years ago I could have identified with this poem in this way and that is life changing!!

EE said...

This one got to me, too. I thought I was going to lose it while listening to that last song!!!

Anonymous said...

HELLO????? Where are you? Your blog is my daily entertainment and this dry spell is the pits. Lol!

Lindsey